Sunday 31 March 2013

First Meeting with B

Image representing Skype as depicted in CrunchBase
Image via CrunchBase

So it’s been a long time coming, but B and I finally met.....and.....it was everything I wanted and then some.

Try as hard as I might I couldn’t help worrying that Skype and cheeky text/email banter might not translate in the real world. I couldn’t be more wrong.

He texted me to say he was waiting downstairs in the car and after one last mist of perfume, I made my way downstairs with my fingers crossed and my heart in my mouth. When I got into the car, I was met with a card, a single red rose and probably the biggest smile in the world from him.

“Wow you’re beautiful” he said, staring at me so intensely and I swear I died a little right there.

He is ridiculously cute (Skype doesn't do him justice at all) and that Hollywood smile, that I’ve teased him about so much (I know, so typical of a Brit to poke fun at the miracles of US dentistry!) was off the chain.

Cher sang 'it’s in his kiss' and she wasn’t wrong! Our first kiss was the best first kiss I’ve ever had :0)

As we drove off into the night for dinner, me clutching my rose and thinking that I have to find the mother of all gifts for P who set us up; I already knew that I’d lucked out.

At dinner, we talked non-stop and laughed a hell of a lot. All those hours on Skype vanished but they weren’t forgotten as they’ve formed the basis of our friendship, which is definitely something new for me when it comes to my love interests.

Friends first, may just be the most important thing I've learnt about the dating game. Yes ,believe it or not, that whole friends first concept has always been a bit of a ‘I should try that sometime’ moment with me.

I’ve always been an impulsive dive-in dater – finding things out along the way and really not spending enough time on the basics, which probably accounts for my some of my more dodgy dating choices.

What's cool about B is that we have fun, which wasn't a surprise, but we've had some pretty hard core grown up chats as well.  Nothing's off the table to be talked about and I'm really enjoying getting to know him. I feel comfortable and happy when we hang out together.

The only annoying thing about us, is the obvious, that just as we got into the rhythm of spending time together, my time was up and one plane ride later I'm back in London and he's in the US.

I’ve been in one long distance gig once before, weirdly enough with another US guy, Mr Long Beach many moons ago.  He was a great guy, but unfortunately had more issues than even I could handle!

It ended with the harsh reality by me that you both have to give a damn to keep a relationship going and if you both stop communicating honestly, however great that relationship may once have been, it's going to end up dead in the water, if you don't work at it.

Now that I’m a little older and maybe even a just a tad wiser, I feel like I understand what I need to do to maintain a relationship and maybe that’s why things are so easy with B. Before any of you think I've got completely carried away with how things are going, I haven't . My feet are firmly on the ground and both of my brown eyes are wide open !

I know B's a good guy, but he's definitely not a pushover and he's been a wild man in the past, which is another reason why I like him. There's no bullshit or false advertising with him. He gives as good as he gets and there's never a dull moment with him. He definitely keeps me on my toes and that's just the way I like it.

More importantly I respect him - sounds weird, maybe a little old fashioned even,  but if you can't respect your other half's actions and opinions (however nuts they maybe sometimes!), sooner or later you are going to run into a wall.  I can be pretty direct when I want to be and he's taken everything I've said firmly on the chin, without throwing hissy fits, sulking or getting hacked off !

So what does the future hold for us ? We'll see :0) Right now I'm chilled out, smiley and feel like a very lucky Easter bunny :0)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: