Thursday 17 May 2012

Stop and Stare - Citizen Journalism Gone Bad !

As you all know I am a social media nut. I thrive on the immediancy of community engagement  (yes that does mean I love a good gossip!) and having my finger on the pulse of life changing events like Why does Louise keep going back to Spencer in Made In Chelsea?

One thing I'm not is part of a growing group of stop and stare freaks, who unleash their mobiles to take pictures or record mini clips, during moments of civil unrest or as I witnessed today, a road traffic accident.

As we hit the main junction near BB Towers, I saw a motor cyclist lying slap bang in the middle of the road, crumpled like a rag doll, and much more worringly, unmoving.

On either side of him snaked rows of people, some hurrying from the stopped buses, to make their way onto the train station, while the rest were nosey Parkers made up of school kids and other grown-ups who should really have known better;  some of them furiously snapping on their Ipod cameras to capture the drama unfolding.

I get the Arab Spring, the Berlin Wall coming down and even the London riots last year. There is no denying the power of social media as the means to organise and relay political messages or to get independent viewpoints across; but taking pictures of a potential traffic fatality is in my humble opinion beyond sick !

"How would you feel if that was one of your family or friends lying there?"

I snapped at one idiot who was having an extreme Rakin moment, taking shots from every angle and perspective, as if his life depended on it.

He lowered his camera. I kissed my teeth, told him to "Show some respect" and then walked on by.

No comments: