Friday 12 June 2009

Manners Cost Nothing !

My own Work Bitch tried to bite back today and I put her firmly back in her box, with an interesting piece of knowledge I had acquired about her. I have been reliably informed that she is a complete novice to her role, which instantly explained the interminal e-mails she continues to send me, requesting I do things for her and constantly asking for any information she can use to make herself look like she knows what she is doing.

I couldn't resist letting her know I was in receipt of this nugget of information and that I was looking forward to the result of all her (delegated) efforts. Her silence since then has been truly one of the most joyous things I have experienced recently.

Our little run-in ended my day on a high, following my latest dating disaster. As you know I am now on my second round of internet dating. In the last free weeks, I have been put in the 'Favourites' box of one overweight Dudley Moore lookalike, one United Nations dater "I like dating women of all nationalities", one "I don't mind being dominated by you" weirdo and one garden gnome who happily told me that "the best things come in small packages".

The unexpected appearance of a very attractive shaven headed man, who worked with children as a mentor, spent hours writing and performing music and was close to his family and friends and had a sense of humour seemed to be like manna from dating heaven.

I pinged across what I thought was a witty laid-back response and waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing. Not a word. When I next visited the site, I found that he has removed me from his 'Favourites'. How rude! Was my fatal error to bother to respond. Should I have ignored him and given my best impersonation of an ice cube bitch?

"Some guys just go on these sites for a laugh or a quick shag" said M (my work sidekick, man guru and totally honest buddy). "The thing is they just don't seem to realise that they are messing with people's feelings. Yeah no wonder you're disappointed, that is shit".

"Maybe he's just trying to come up with something witty to say back" said J hopefully. No optimistic musing with my girlfriends changes the fact that he couldn't be bothered to reply and I wasn't even deemed worthy enough to be kept on as one his 'Favorites' hotties. Is this one of the defining differences that separate women from men in the modern merry-go-round of love. Is it now the norm for women who make the effort to get the ball rolling when it comes to dating?

If we women are now subject to the same scrutiny we have put men through from the first moment we become interested in them, then just being aloof, unique, and interesting (we hope) isn't going to cut it anymore. Which begs the question, are we 'man' enough to be proactive and keep on trying to find the one or does the fear of serial rejection, which men deal with everyday threaten to derail our shot at love?

No comments: