Sunday 7 June 2009

Close To The Edge

There comes a time in every diva's life when after seemingly untainted, charmed years, she realises that she has become disposible. If this unpleasant realisation relates to her livelihood as well as her day-to-day life, it is all the more unpalatable.

This realisation can either be taken in the same way the news is delivered as a short, sharp shock or if you are a true diva, then the news can evolve into a full scale drama, during which you go through the waste case scenarios. Long-term unemployment, losing your house, having to do your own highlights. Several glasses of wine later, you remember that when you are stressed you lose weight and suddenly the whole situation is encased in a silver lining.

I have for some years nursed a burning ambition to be a full-time writer. While fine-tuning my craft I have been supporting myself by working as a PA. Occasionally within the confines of my daily routine, I get to work on projects I really enjoy, in my case events. Event organising allows me free rein to be creative, timeline and plan with military precision unique events for my colleagues and friends and ultimately get all the satisfaction I need from hearing they they have enjoyed themselves.

The removal of this responsibility, my not being told about it directly and then it being handed over to a an virgin 'team', who had been told I would delighted to help them with tips on how to ensure things run smoothly made me totally livid. It also led me to reassess my own priorities and what I need to do to get to where I want to be. I know I am very good at what I do.

I can no longer stay as I am - something needs to change and the only person who can bring about this change is me. Watch this space !

No comments: