Thursday 21 October 2010

The Leveller !

There's one leveller in life that hits us all rich or poor, happy or sad, is the loss of our health.

I count myself incredibly lucky in that despite some harsh times, I've been relatively unscathed by ill health or the loss of a loved one.

The closest person I had to a mother was taken from me when I was 22 and to this day when something great happens, I have to stop myself from picking up the phone and calling her. She was a truly incredible, strong, loving woman whose death was one of the most terrible things that has ever happened to me.

When my much loved super cranky Dad was seriously ill a couple of years ago, I became Little Ms Practical.

I was the only child he told and for the duration of his treatment, I went from home, work, hospital and back home again like some mindless robot nurse. I didn't cry once, not until he got the all clear and then I wept like a baby.

Maybe I thought after that, I would never have to watch someone I care about deal with the fear and uncertainty of a life threatening illness.

Today, a very good friend of mine is undergoing an operation to save her life. I don't know what the outcome will be, but I pray she makes it.

No comments: