Tuesday 10 January 2012

It's A Wonderful Life !

Iconic screen shot from the movie It's a Wonde...Image via Wikipedia Death has touched my life several times so far. On each occasion it has impacted me so much, that I've found myself appreciating more and more the need to live every day as if it were your last.

This weekend C very narrowly escaped death. She and a group of friends were driving back from a girls weekend in Liverpool , when SG lost control of the car and spin it.

They were incredibly lucky not to have died or been seriously injured, or find themselves in the path of the numerous other cars on the road as well. As it was they were all shocked but walked away without a scratch.

When C came into work and told us, our instant reaction was to thankfully hug her several times, check she was ok and tell her how grateful we were that she is still with us.

Her reaction was "If I die I die" and "I'm not scarced of dying".

It saddened me, because C is one of life's truly lovely people who genuninely doesn't have a mean bone in her body and strangely seems unable to acknowledge how great she is and how much she is loved by others.

I reminded her of that Christmas classic "It's A Wonderful Life!" when Jimmy Stewart spends the whole movie, learning just how important his being born is to all of the people around him.

Sometimes we forget the impact of our own presence. The influence we have on others, often by default and the miracle that is our lives, however, difficult and troubled they can sometimes be. I can't bear to think about how we would have felt if anything had happened to C.

My garden of life is slowly coming to life again after a truly awful 2011, but as C's brush with death reminded me instead of us wasting time and energy being impatient about what hasn't happened yet, sometimes we just have to take a moment to stop and be grateful for what we have at present.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: